What makes a good wine glass?
Discovering the true flavour and character of any wine starts with a good glass.
Experts agree thatglasses have everything it takes to deliver the best tasting experience!
What makes a good wine glass?
Learn the fundamentals of a good wine glass and how to enjoy the most out of your wine.
Joe Wadsack won the coveted International Wine and Spirit Communicator of the Year Award.
Having first studied wine making in Bordeaux, he spent several years working as a wine buyer and expert consultant for several leading retail chains before embarking on his own broadcasting and writing career.
Caring for your Crystal and Glassware
Special things are worth looking after. To enjoy using your crystal in the future and to keep it looking good, we recommend the following:
- Wash your crystal before use.
- When washing crystal use warm soapy water and a soft cloth. Rinse with clear warm water. The small label will easily soak off in water. If handled with care and using a low temperature washing cycle Dartington Crystal can be used in the dishwasher.
- Dry with a soft cloth holding glasses by the bowl not the stem. Avoid twisting stems during washing and drying.
- Change liquid content and wash vases and decanters regularly to prevent staining.
- If staining does occur, remove with vinegar on a soft cloth, or soak in a solution of vinegar and water (50/50). A mild abrasive such as rice or crushed eggshells can be used inside containers.
- Stand or store crystal stemware right side up to avoid damage to stemware rims.
- Use wooden spoons with serving bowls to avoid chipping.
- Dartington Crystal only recommend using Finish detergent for dishwasher use. Large and heavy items should always be washed by hand. See below for more intformation.
- Expose crystal to rapid temperature changes, i.e. very hot oven or cold water.
- Use crystal products in microwave or conventional oven or in a freezer.
- Re-light night lights that may have burned to below half their container depth.
- Allow a naked flame to come into contact with the crystal or leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never stack one glass inside another.
Dartington Crystal can be used in the dishwasher if handled with care, stacked well and using a lower temperature washing cycles with many new dishwashers having specific wash settings for Crystal & Glassware.
We have indicated on each product page those products that are safe to use in a dishwasher. Through reasonable use and care the majority of all our collections are suitable for dishwasher use and many of us here at Dartington do do this ourselves in our homes without any problems. Please note that prolonged and regular dishwasher use can eventually take away some of the shine and poor stacking of your dishwasher can lead to damage.
Large and heavy items should always be washed by hand.
Caring for your crystal.
Dartington Crystal recommend using Finish Quantum for dishwasher use.
From Finish: "When it comes to dishwashing, you deserve a standard that gives you amazing shine, clarity and brilliance. Finish Quantum combines the power of three separate ingredients in one single product:
- Powerball technology for outstanding cleaning results
- Powder with salt function for an extreme clean
- Gel with rinse aid function for amazing shine
Visit their website for more information on Finish Quantum.